Figure Eight Football Dribbling Drill
Figure Eight Football Dribbling – Football drills are drills that you use to practice a specific skill. You can use these drills to improve your skills as a football player or use them as a coach so that your team can practice. No matter if you are a coach or a player, it is really important for you to know drills and to practice them because it will help you to improve and “practice makes a master.”
So, there are two big groups of drills: individual football drills or team drills. The team drills are the ones that you practice in a normal practice with your team, and the individual drills are the ones that you can practice by yourself. If you really want to improve at football, practicing with your team is not enough, because everybody does that! You need to have more time with the ball and do the individual football drills.
Figure Eight Football Dribbling Drill Setup
- Create two 5X5 yard grids about 5 yards apart.
- Place two training sticks in the middle of the grids approximately 3 yards apart.
- Set a cone on each end turning the grids into a pentagon.
- One player starts between the training sticks with a ball.
- Players should play at full speed for one minute then rotate with a partner.
- Setup multiple obstacle courses depending on the number of players.
Best Instructions for Figure Eight Football Dribbling
- The player will dribble in a figure eight pattern around the cones and through the center training sticks without any dribbling restrictions.
- Next, as the player dribbles to their left, they should dribble with the outside of the left foot and as they travel to the right, they should dribble with the outside of their right foot.
- Now, as the player dribbles to their left, have them dribble with the inside of the right foot, and as they travel to the right, have them dribble with the inside of their left foot.
- Each series should last 1 minute before switching.
Figure Eight Football Dribbling Variations
- Dribble with speed.
- Controlled touches with the outside and inside of the foot.
- Keep the ball close.
- Quick touches to cut the ball around the area.
- Make sure players heads are up.
- Disc Cones
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls
- Training Sticks or Agility Poles
Drill Target Ages
- U8, U-8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17 and Older